Thursday 17 December 2015

Purbeck Inverts

As promised a follow up to my Wildflowers of Purbeck post, mostly featuring invertebrates. No birds I'm afraid. Apart from plenty of Dartford Warblers I didn't really see any of note.

Adonis Blues on Ballard Down
 

This must be the most colourful female Adonis Blue that I've ever seen.


This is the latest Silver-studded Blue that I've seen (August 16th).



Brown Argus


Clouded Yellow hiding on a stem of Yellow-wort. 
Very effective camouflage. I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't watched it land there.

Small Tortoiseshell on Fox and Cubs


Lulworth Skipper

Cinnabar Moth Caterpillars



The European Beewolf - Philanthus triangulum


Long-winged Conehead - Conocephalus discolor
Female of the uncommon brown form.



Male Large Marsh Grasshopper - Stethophyma grossum


Female Large Marsh Grasshopper - Stethophyma grossum



Roesel's bush-cricket - Metrioptera roeselii


Female Sand Lizard  - Lacerta agilis
Yes, I know it's not an invert but one reptile didn't really warrant a mention in the title.


No comments: