Wednesday 28 November 2012

Moth Fun

Well the moth trapping season was a bit of a wash out this year, I was really expecting some good results having a nice large and well vegetated garden as opposed to a few slabs and a bit of gravel at the old house. The weather obviously didn't help and most nights I couldn't set up the trap in case of rain and when it wasn't wet it was windy. The best catch I got was around 30 moths and most times it was just half a dozen or so. Dire. Anyway here are a few photos of some of what I did catch (those than didn't fly off) including an unidentified micro. Also photos of a nice bug and a stonking spider!

Some nights I only caught Buff Tips, but I'm not complaining because they're great. I had some fun with them thus....


Spot the moths! 
Yes, I know its easy from this distance but I honestly don't think I'll ever stop being amazed at how much they resemble a broken twig


Second generation Early Thorns, stunning moths!


Clay
 

Rosy Footman


Yellow Shell


Green Pug


Peppered Moth


Small Blood-vein


Small Fan-footed Wave


Common Emerald
 

Herald


Scalloped Oak


Swallowtail Moth


Sycamore


Pine Carpet


Eudonia truncicolella?


Grass Veneer


Couldn't put a name to this one.... ??


The beautiful Hawthorn Shieldbug
 and the not quite so beautiful...


Woodlouse Spider. 
This beastie was lurking under a plant pot which I moved to get at a couple of moths that were behind it. 
I remember being quite startled. What a monster it is! Just look at the size of those fangs!


1 comment:

Stewart said...

Hi Karen, You drab moth may be 1386 Opsibotys fuscalis.