Saturday 9 May 2015

Duke of Burgundy

It's that time of year again when I just have to go and reacquaint myself with that beautiful little gem that is the Duke of Burgundy. It appears to be clinging on in The Blackdown Hills in Somerset with just a handful of adults seen each year. Today after waiting for over an hour for the sun to put in an appearance I saw just two individuals, both males. One was very obliging as far as photos were concerned as he appeared to be very recently emerged and was taking some time to warm up. A tiny little butterfly, and not the showiest but it's definitely one of my favourites.




Duke of Burgundy - Hamearis lucina


I also saw a single Dingy Skipper, my first this year but didn't get a photo. I did get a few shots of a Bee Fly though.




Bee Fly - Bombylius major
Nectaring on Cowslip - Primula veris

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Great images of the Duke and bee fly. I can see why the Duke is one of your favorites.