Thursday 9 July 2009

Back To Ashclyst Forest

I returned to Ashclyst Forest today to try and get a photo of a White Admiral. It's been eleven days now since my last visit when the males were very restless, setting up territories and on the look out for females. I was hoping things would have settled down a bit by now. The weather was a bit more favorable too with nice long sunny spells. I went straight to a site where we saw several individuals last time and it was awash with Silver-washed Fritillaries, there were also at least two White Admirals. The SWFs were posing all over the place but the White Admirals were much less obliging, only nectaring for the briefest of periods. I did manage to get a few photos though about a dozen shots in over two hours!


Poor photo but it shows (well if enlarged) how battered and scratched this individual is.


The colourful underwing


My three favourite shots




A pair of Silver-washed Fritillaries,
the female showing the underwing colouring well.

Closer view, very like a leaf when in the treetops I imagine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brill photos, Karen. And that goes for the previous post.
I`d love to see a White Admiral.

Wilma said...

The shots with the light shining through the wings are stunning.

Karen Woolley said...

Thanks again :)

Dean - I'd always wanted to see White Admiral too. These were my first ever - I don't know why I waited so long. Purple Emperor next... hopefully :-)