Sunday 12 March 2023

Butterflies in Vietnam

Here's a selection of butterflies which I photographed in Vietnam, mostly back in 2019 but also some from this January. I'll list them via location.

Ha Tinh

This is the resort of Quynh Vien, it's in Central Vietnam a few miles from the city of Ha Tinh. It's almost always deserted like this!

Angled Castor

Common Crow

Common Mime

Common Mormon

Common Tiger

Lime Butterfly

Peacock Pansy

Unknown Dragonfly 


Hanoi

I only saw one butterfly in Hanoi which was in the tree right next to our balcony.

 

 

Plains Cupid


Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park 


We visited here on my Birthday, I have to say it was my best Birthday ever! 

View from our Homestay

 

We stopped at this random crossroads to check the map, and in the vegetation underneath the crash barrier I spotted my most wanted butterfly! I could only dream of seeing it on this trip, I knew it was possible but didn't think it would happen, even though they are meant to be common. 

Best Birthday present ever!!



White Dragontail 
They are amazing to watch. Their tail streamers quiver as they fly.I took some slow motion video footage. 


 

The next butterfly I spotted was in the middle of the road. I had to stop and get a closer look. Quite a scarce species. Shame it was dead.

Double Branded Crow



These butterflies were congregating in a gutter on the side of the road, in a tiny bit of moisture, which I had a horrible feeling was urine! 

 Five-barred Swordtail (green, black, white), Common Bluebottle (green stripe),Common Jay (blue spots and stripes), Common Mormon (far left), Spangle Swallowtail (centre). Great Mormon (top right).

Great Orange Tip

Great Zebra

Spangle Swallowtail and Common Jay
 


Spangle Swallowtail
 
 Saigon Botanical Gardens


The botanical gardens and zoo are a green oasis in this immense city and an ideal refuge for butterflies.

Common Palmfly

Common Pierrot


Great Egg Fly  (Female bottom, Male top)

Grey Pansy

Indian Palm Bob

Lemon Pansy

Painted Jezabel

Plain Tiger

Tawny Coster
 
 
Grasshawk Skimmer
 
 

Dalat 

As I said in my earlier post about birds in Vietnam. I didn't see many butterflies on this year's visit, as it was the wrong time of year. 

 There were a lot of these though, they're called the Pea Blue locally
 but known here in the UK as the Long-tailed Blue.


Long-tailed Blue


Blue Pansy
Red-based Jezabel
 






1 comment:

Brian Hicks said...

Beautiful species, the gathering in the gutter amazing!