Friday 30 October 2015

Smardale Gill

Back at the very start of August we went on an excursion up north for a few days, mainly botanising obviously but I also got to see two new butterflies and a new dragonfly. The butterflies were both seen at Smardale Gill in Cumbria. It's somewhere I've wanted to visit for ages and I have to say it was even better than it looks in all the lovely photos I've seen of it. Unfortunately we were a bit too early for Scotch Argus and a bit late for Northern Brown Argus to see either of them in good numbers but luckily during a very brief sunny interlude on an otherwise dull day I did manage to see and photograph both. Definitely one of the highlights of my year. I'd like to return one day when the Scotch Argus are out in good numbers it must be a superb sight! The new dragonfly was in Teesdale along with some amazing new plants, a post about which is imminent (the way I'm performing though, that'll probably be weeks!)



Smardale Gill with the only bit of blue sky we saw in three days!




Scotch Argus



Northern Brown Argus 
Rather faded unfortunately but I was lucky to see one. 


Giant Tachinid Fly - Tachina grossa.


 Bloody Cranesbill - Geranium sanguineum



Great Burnet - Sanguisorba officinalis

2 comments:

JRandSue said...

Great shots Karen,nice find.
John.

Karen Woolley said...

Thanks John