Sunday 7 June 2015

Powerstock Common

I've been waiting for some warm and sunny weather so that I can visit one of my favourite places, Powerstock Common near Bridport in Dorset and that's where I went today. I was hoping for a repeat of my success last year in finding and photographing the elusive Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth and after much searching (well standing around waiting really) I did. I only managed to see two individuals but one slowed down long enough for me to get a few photos. Definitely my favourite moth. I love 'em! There were lots of Marsh Fritillaries, many more than I saw last year and hundreds of Common Blues. I also saw Grizzled Skipper, Dingy Skipper, and my first Painted Lady, Small Heath and Large Skipper of the year. I also saw new plant for me, that being Lesser Water Plantain. Best bird of the day was a flyover Red Kite.




One very quick flying visit to a Meadow Thistle and that was it.


Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth - Hemaris tityus


 Common Blue - Polyommatus icarus


Female Common Blue on Forget-me-not.
 

Dingy Skipper - Erynnis tages
 

Grizzled Skipper - Pyrgus malvae


Marsh Fritillary - Euphydryas aurinia



Reed beetles ? (Plateumaris sp) getting amorous on Bogbean flower.





Heath Spotted Orchids - Dactylorhiza maculata



Common Twayblade - Neottia ovata



Lesser Water-plantain - Baldellia ranunculoides


Common Milkwort Polygala vulgaris
 


Last but most definitely not least.... 
Red Kite



No comments: