Monday 14 February 2011

Great Grey Shrike...Again...At Last!

I first saw the Great Grey Shrike on Alysbeare Common on October 22nd last year, since then I've tried on numerous occasions to see it again but dipped every time. I was pleased therefore to hear that it had been 'pinned down' during Friday and Saturday last week to a small area on Harpford Common adjacent to Alysbeare Common. I had to go into Exeter today, so decided to set off early to look for the Shrike on the way. I gave myself two and a half hours to find it but saw it within five minutes of getting out of the car! Nice! I still hung around for the full two hours as I'd brought along a packed lunch and the weather was quite pleasant. Unfortunately there was no sign of any Dartford Warblers, I hope some have moved to the coast, it's not nice to think that they have all succumbed to the harsh winter.

The bird was particularly fond of hunting in this burnt area, can you see it?
The bird not the burnt area!
Quite distant at first....but with time ( I had plenty) and patience...
it came closer....
and closer.
 



3 comments:

Its Time to Live said...

Great find and images.

JRandSue said...

Stunning captures Karen.
John.

Karen Woolley said...

Thanks ITTL and John. I appreciate your kind comments. :)