Wednesday 7 April 2010

A Couple of Migrants and a Mishap

When Steve found the patch's first Little Ringed Plover of the year on Black Hole Marsh this morning, I naturally went down there for a look. Whilst I was trying to set up my scope for a closer look this happened....
..Don't ask me how, it just 'came off in my hand' as they say! 

I've tried to glue it back together this evening but I don't hold out too much hope. Another looming expense I suppose, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford my new camera at this rate :-(

The LRP wasn't that distance but the glare was considerable, that coupled with trying to to use my scope with no handle on the tripod meant  I couldn't get any decent photos of it. However, a bit later in the day, about lunchtime, I heard from Bun that there was now a Yellow Wagtail present too. I was in Axminster shopping at the time but when I got home at 2 o'clock I found the time to pop back down for a look. Five minutes after dumping all the groceries on the kitchen floor ( got to get my priorities right) I was back at Black Hole Marsh and happily the Yellow Wagtail ( and boy was it yellow!!) was still there with three lovely White Wagtails for company. They were very mobile but occasionally would land and feed very close by, allowing  for a few photos. The Little Ringed Plover was still in the same spot but the light was much better for photos so I took a few of that too. I must admit it was a bit of a struggle without my tripod handle, especially  with the Wagtails, they're just so manic, but worth it I think ;-) Nice weather forecast for tomorrow with light winds for a change, therefore I predict a fall on Beer Head - a fall of  patch birders!!

Little Ringed Plover

Yellow Wagtail
With White Wagtail
On a couple of occasions it  actually stopped bombing around for a nanosecond or two. 
 Could it be any more yellow? It must be the yellowest thing on earth!
The only in focus 'action shot I managed. 

No comments: