Thursday 16 July 2009

100% Improvement

Last night I set the moth trap up on my own humble garden again and am pleased to say that there was a 100% improvement on the last catch with 14 moths of 9 species. These even included Poplar and Elephant Hawk Moths, which I didn't think I'd ever catch here. Other new moths for the garden were Common Pug, Double Square Spot, Light Arches, Cabbage Moth, Clay, Little Emerald (very tatty and unphotogenic unfortunately) and a Many-plumed Moth.

This morning I joined the AERG at Colyford Common, it was the first session I'd managed to get to for a few weeks. It was very productive with 23 birds caught before rain stopped proceedings at elevenish, including 12 Reed Warblers, but oddly no juveniles amongst them, and a Sedge Warbler, incredibly the FIRST one I 'd seen on patch this year! I really have been slacking haven't I? Also a couple of Reed Buntings a Cetti's Warbler and a Kingfisher (of course). A massive highlight for me was getting to fondle my first House Martin, I love 'em!!


A lovely House Martin


Some Moths

A Marbled Green
This may become a garden regular.

The Cabbage Moth

Many-plumed Moth

'Moth of the day' The Clay
(rather plain but rather nice too)


No comments: